Electrical Wiring Upgrade - When and How

Posted: March 14, 2019

Upgrading the electrical wiring system of a house can be quite messy and expensive, however, it is absolutely necessary for this number one reason: SAFETY.

You flip a switch, the lights come on, the TV is working fine and the refrigerator keeps your food cold. For most people, their electrical system is fine. For others, this is not the case. For instance, a house that is over 40 years old will absolutely need an upgrade in wiring for safety reasons.

Rewiring a whole house can be extremely messy and cost a lot of money. With proper planning,, this can be done with minimal disruption. You can even turn this expense into an asset by increasing the value of the home.



Safety Issues

According to a study conducted by the National Fire Prevention Association in 2009, the primary cause of residential fires can be mainly attributed to old and faulty wiring. The risk of a fire breaking out and destroying everything is directly proportional to the age of the wiring in the house.

Old wiring isn't inherently dangerous as the popular belief goes. On the other hand, you can never be sure as you were not there to witness the original wiring. Insulating materials around the old wire deteriorate over time . It is not a matter of ‘if’ they can cause problems but of “when” and by then you have a fire accident waiting to happen.

If you are unsure when the wiring in your house was last inspected, it is time to get an Electrical Inspection specialist. These are the warning signs that an inspection is long overdue:


  • Frequent problems with the fuse or breaker trips.

  • Feeling a funny tingling sensation when you touch an appliance with your bare hands.

  • The lights in your house start flickering or dimming frequently.

  • There is an underlying burning smell in the house.

  • The power outlets have been discolored or feel warm. They may sometimes even be melted or spark when you try to plug something in.

  • The old fashioned two pronged outlets are a red flag. These types of sockets don’t have a grounding.

  • There are no GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlets anywhere in the areas of the house where there is excess moisture build-up like the bathrooms and kitchens.

NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

FOLLOW US

*10%

OFF SERVICES
FREE ESTIMATES

*EXCLUSIONS MAY APPLY. CALL FOR DETAILS.

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe to our email newsletter & receive updates right in your inbox.

What Our Customers are Saying